Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Asheville Brook Trout Fly Fishing Report






Asheville Brook Trout Fly Fishing Report 6/15/11 and 6/16/11

This fishing report is not a work related fishing report. Annie and I haven’t had time off together (weddings excluded) since the fishing season started. The stars aligned in our favor and we decided to mix a backpacking trip and a search for good brook trout water. We headed off into Pisgah National Forest in an area that is not very popular with most people. We ran into one group of hikers in two days. I had fished the lower end of this stream a few weeks before, but caught rainbows and browns, but no brook trout. We hiked four miles before we started fishing, at an elevation of 4,000 feet above sea level. We hit pay dirt. The first hole we fished yielded a dozen brook trout in the 4 to 7 inch range. The rest of the evening and next morning was just as good. Every hole that should hold a fish or two did.

The fish up there are small, but extremely colorful and plentiful. We found solitude that I haven’t found since I left WY. We had an awesome time, and I have already been back on a day trip. The hike in takes about an hour, but is not very steep. If you are interested in a back country trip like this give me a call to talk about the details.

Brown

803-431-9437

Visit me on the web at

www.browntroutflyfishing.com